How to play suited 2,3 hole cards? Or watever consecutive su

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

How to play suited 2,3 hole cards? Or watever consecutive su

Postby akababy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:52 pm

always got this kind of cards. Sometimes after calling the big blind, will get reraise. Should i call it to see the flop? or better to fold?
akababy
New Fish

Re: How to play suited 2,3 hole cards? Or watever consecutive su

Postby suitedpairs29 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:11 pm

i think you are referring to suited connectors. these are hole cards that are in consecutive order and are of the same suit. these are one of my favorite hands to play. i think the situation should dictate how you play them. you play 78 not to flop top pair but rather to get a big draw to a straight or flush. these hands play well multi way because you have implied odds of hitting a big hand ang getting paid off. calling a small raise is fine with these cards, as long as you are in position. with a raise and a reraise, its best to throw these cards in the muck.

remember, lots of people in the pot and late position is a good measure for playing these cards. although i would draw the line on 23, 34 and 45. those are bottom of the heap and flopping draws on those will be very weak because you could be drawing to second best hand.
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Postby akababy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:53 pm

I see. So you mean with higher suited connectors we should try and see the flop right?

Btw inposition means wat ar? Got any link to read up?
akababy
New Fish

Postby Haens » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 pm

there are different ways to play the sc. in a loose game with many limpers and not so much preflop-raises you could limp in with sc from most positions and hope to flop a big draw or made hand.
in tighter games you should only play them in late position and open the pot with a raise. you could also call a small raise when you have position on the raiser if he is a bigstack. you need to get paid of when you hit, because you will mostly need to fold it on flop.
generally, if you find a good line for these cards they will pay you of in a great way
Haens
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby akababy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:42 pm

right.. thanks alot bro
akababy
New Fish

Postby Belousov » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 pm

One thing that is important with suited connectors is the semi-bluff, betting after the flop when you have a decent straight draw or flush draw . Depending on your play style the semi-bluff will accrue quite a hefty amount of chips. That being said I would never call a raise more than 3x's the big blind with suited connectors, but if you have suited connectors In good position open up the pot with a 2-3 x's the big blind raise. this builds the pot for when you hit your cards. On the flop I like to bet just to get an idea of where my hand is, it can be deleterious to your chip stack but you will be surprised how many folds you will get with a second bet on the flop. Use your best judgment!!! If you get a call for 3 x's the big blind raise and the flop misses you completely with over cards like As Td 8c on the board and there is a bet into you fold it up. Another thing to be careful of is hitting top pair with suited connectors, it is tempting to jam the pot with top pair but you have to remember playing suited connectors means you most likely have a lower kicker if you both hit top pair. Just a cautionary remark though, once again let your judgment decide. Playing suited connectors will sometimes lead to roller coaster rides for your chip stack, so if you are going to play them be wary. goodluck at the tables
Belousov
Challenge Poker Player

Postby friskygambit » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:35 pm

2-3 suited is a much weaker hand than 5-6 or 6-7 suited.

With such hands, two very important factors come into play, position and implied odds.

When you are in late position, you have the privilege of being last to act, and cos of this you get free information about the strength of other players' hands. If you think they are weak, you should raise with your SCs and not limp. The objective of raising is to get them to fold, so you can take down the pot pre-flop. If they call your raise and continue to be passive post-flop, you should represent strength by making a continuation bet. As they are bound to miss the flop 2/3 of the time, you will take down the pot most of the time when you make a continuation bet.

Sometimes I opt to call a raise with some SCs like 56s if the implied odds are good.

Implied odds refer to the size of the bet you have to call, relative to the money that you stand to win if you make your hand. In this case, it is not just the money in the pot, but the money in your opponents' stacks, if you anticipate that they will pay you off if you hit. In a deep stacked cash game and in a multiway pot, the implied odds increase dramatically. In general, I will call a raise with 56s and better from middle position if I am getting at least 14-1 implied odds.

In tournaments however the situation differs greatly, and you should FOLD all suited connectors worse than JT suited preflop especially when the blinds are high.
friskygambit
New Fish

Postby Belousov » Sat May 17, 2008 10:41 pm

I am sorry but what frisky gambit said is just not true. Folding all SC lower than J10 is no way to win a tournament. First of all when the blind are higher raising with SC is extremely profitable, especially when you play low to mid stakes as the frequency of re raises is much lower than higher stakes. Really I can't think of any profitable TAG player that won't call a standard raise IP (in position) with 87s even 56s assuming he is sitting at or around an M=20. In fact if you are not raising a wider variety of as the blinds increase in this metagame you are not winning a tournament. Before you start playing these hand make sure you are comfortable playing post flop even if you don't flop a monster
Belousov
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sun May 18, 2008 8:36 am

Suited connectors are very playable during deep to mid stack M > 20 (green zone)
To make SCs profitable is the implied odds of hitting a strong and hidden hand ( 2pair, trips, straight, flush ), stacking off your opponent
And also the fold equity made from playing your draws aggressively

In the yellow and orange zone, SCs become less playable or even unplayable as you often lack the implied odds to hit a big hand and win a big stack, since you probably only have enough to bet preflop and on the flop.

In the red zone, SCs regains its usefulness as being a suitable hand for pushing all-in preflop to steal the blinds which boosts your stack like 10-20%.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Return to General Poker Strategy