Advice needed

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Advice needed

Postby henrywwy » Sun May 08, 2011 8:21 am

joined the daily big $55 on stars last nite...bust during the 1st hand..this is how the hand is played :| :
starting stack 3k,blind 10/20
was on bb, whole table folded...small blind raises to 60 and i called with [6s] [7s]
flop ( [8h] [7c] [7d] )
sb check i bet 80,sb raised to 240 and i re-raised to 720,sb called.
turn [Jc] ,
sb check i bet 1120 , he puts me all in with another 1100 to call.
any view on the way i played the hand?
what would u guys do??
will post the result after receiving some opinions...thanks =)
henrywwy
ABC Poker Player

Re: Advice needed

Postby boymalap » Sun May 08, 2011 12:55 pm

betsizing was fine pre. when he raised u at the flop, he can have 44+,78,K7,A7 in his range. Don't need to re-reraise him unless u want to get it in at the turn.His rereaise call should set ur alarm bells ringing :)
boymalap
ABC Poker Player

Postby keldraco » Sun May 08, 2011 1:05 pm

since it is the 1st hand, i will choose to slow down, check the turn and call a bet on the river unless it an all-in. i wouldn't even re-raise on the flop.
keldraco
ABC Poker Player

Postby eleester » Sun May 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Gotta think of some of the hands that can beat u...
1) Straight (9,10)
2) Full house (Pocket Js or 8s/8,7/8,J/7,J)
3) Trip 7 with higher kicker (9-10, Q-A)

Play analysis:
Pre-flop: he raised 3x big blind. (Could be suited connecters or pockets or could be him trying to steal the pot)
Post-flop: check-raise and called (Prob trying a semi-bluff and since you 3-bet to 720 and he just call. Put him on a drawing hand. 9,10?)
Turn: check-raise all in (made his hand)

I guessing he has 9,10 suited?

Playwise Pre-flop I think is ok. With your hand, you do wanna see the flop. Post-flop I would have call his 240 bet instead of 3 beting since he check-raised you. If he was on a drawing hand, I think he won't fold unless you raise him all in or the pot odds are not good enough for him to call. Turn since the J came out, I would have just check and see how it turns out on the river coz his check-raise on the flop would have rang some alarm.

Just my opinions. If I made any noob analysis, do let me know so I can learn too. Thanks.
eleester
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby henrywwy » Sun May 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Sb had j7...i guess the optimum play is to jst check the turn =(
henrywwy
ABC Poker Player

Postby henrywwy » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

anymore opinion guys???
henrywwy
ABC Poker Player

Postby xcaliblur » Mon May 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Well the one thing that might have alerted you was villains check raise on the turn. If you think about the hand

778J board. Villain has called your 4 bet on the flop. And check raised on the turn all in. Most people would not bluff like this. In most cases a check raise all in on the turn, after someone has shown strength on the flop is usually a sign of strength. Lets face it with 67, theres not many hands that you have beat who would play like this. a 9T would have just gotten there, any 7 would likely outkick you, and villain would unlikely to check raise all in on the turn with either a J or a 8.
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Postby henrywwy » Mon May 09, 2011 8:40 pm

thx for the view..but cant fold after the bet..committed myself..so the turn bet is a very donkey bet?? regretting that eversince.. =(
henrywwy
ABC Poker Player

Postby ronshaks » Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 pm

he had either 9,10 suited, pocket 8s, pocket Js or 7J or 7,8. but anyhow.. they way he bet, he's not afraid of the table's 7s leh... dat means monster hole cards lor.

or maybe he's just crazy... sometimes have like dat one lar... he's must be russian...

:)
ronshaks
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby mal » Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 pm

no matter how much u analyse, u r gg to be stacked.. u have to go for the broke.. put all ur chips in.. villian might think that he is trapping u with overpairs rather than believing u to have trips on the flop..ur flop play is definitely ok, u r committed on the flop.. if u were to fold this hand, even if it is a good fold, u r gg to be exploited in the future...do let me know, if u disagree,so tat i can join u in some home games k.. lol
mal
ABC Poker Player

Postby axel » Mon May 09, 2011 11:56 pm

When you decided to play 67s, isn't that one of the dream flops you want to see, especially in a MTT? What else you want to flop? A flush? Well someone may also have a higher flush.

After reraising on the flop and betting the turn so much, there is no way you can fold. If you decide to play passively and villian shows up with a straight, you'd probably ask whether you should have bet the flop.
axel
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Good Seller (2)

Postby henrywwy » Tue May 10, 2011 1:34 pm

guys..it wasnt bout the flop play..im jst thinking that i shouldnt have bet the turn as im not gonna get pay off from a weaker hand on the turn.
henrywwy
ABC Poker Player

Postby p1aya11hands » Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Yea. Your flop play tells your opponent that you are on a hand when you 3bets him. but when he called you probably should put him on a decent marginal hand like 7 trips, big drawing hands or he might even hit a house on flop with 8s (since he raised preflop as well).

Normally i would be shocked if a opponent puts me in calling all-in situation when something that connects the board show up in turn. But yea, perhaps you should do some pot control and checked after him since you don't have any data on his plays and should proceed with cautious.
p1aya11hands
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Chrisfeugo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:58 pm

logic rules the day. here's how i deduce.

1. pre flop villain raises when all folds, what hands can you put him on? naturally, a range that starts off very wide. from big pairs all the way to off suited 1,2,3,4,5 gappers.
2. flop comes as such, you bet he raises 3x. you can start narrowing his hands which are very likely suited or at least connected. your bet tells him you might have the seven or an eight, but maybe he does not the full house yet. his raise tells you he is saying has a seven but maybe not the full house yet, but he feels good about a kicker. he could also be saying he has 9, 10 suited or offsuit and wants to make his bet payoff if he hits his open ended straight.
3. you re raise to 720. he rethinks about his kicker against yours or he could be still thinking about his straight although this for me, is where the 9,10 becomes an increasingly small possibility when he calls a 3x reraise. u can also discard him on a pair of 8's at this point. or 7,8.
4. the jack arrives, he checks. why do this after calling a reraise? you have to be suspicious now. if you check behind him, he is giving you a free card and at this point in time remember, he should already be putting you on a 7 with maybe a better kicker than him. do you see this player giving a free card when he makes his straight? i hope not.

5. he check puts you all in, he does not want another card to appear at this point. a strong play on the j. why? he now wants you to pay maximum to draw to your kicker against his made hand.

i think nobody is going away in this hand once the flop was out. small chance for you would have been preflop if you reraised him preflop with your suited connectors (ordinary mortal players like us most often won't i guess). or an even smaller window of opportunity would have been to go all in at his post flop reraise. (again, ordinary mortal players like us most often won't do that).

please dun flame me, my logic might be flawed, as i am only a beginner player.
Chrisfeugo
New Fish

Next

Return to General Poker Strategy