MTT buy-in

One of the top players in Singapore, and a beloved figure in the community. Uncle Bob is a player with vast experience in regional tournaments, and who is always generous with his time.

MTT buy-in

Postby ronshaks » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:41 pm

UB,

wat's ur take on MTTs? izzit better to register at the onset or wait till the 59th minute? the pros and cons?
ronshaks
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Re: MTT buy-in

Postby felixleong » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm

I think its best to register right from the start to maximize value.
If you wait till the 59th min you would had missed over an hour's chance to double up on your stack.

If its a turbo.. at the 60th min level is probably near the 100/200 or 150/300 blind level... with a 1.5k or 3k stack, you are playing quite short stack.

The only time i would consider registering late is when I spot a big over lay in prize pay out.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby thebiggame » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:00 pm

ronshaks wrote:UB,

wat's ur take on MTTs? izzit better to register at the onset or wait till the 59th minute? the pros and cons?

Of course from the start. If you have an edge over the average players, the 1st hour is the best period to chip up from the losers aka 'dead money'.
thebiggame
New Fish

Postby Afternoon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm

ronshaks wrote:UB,

Yes, I register early for MTT especially Knockout MTT. Normally the latest I would got in is at 3000 chips, blinds 75/150, 20BB. Anything less than 20BB basically you are playing bacarrats for your first showdown.
Last edited by Afternoon on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Afternoon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 pm

ronshaks wrote:UB, wat's ur take on MTTs? izzit better to register at the onset or wait till the 59th minute? the pros and cons?

Depend on your poker standard, if you don't have an edge against the field, then there is no differences. Better player can exploits weaker players or guppies with more post flop plays in the earlier levels.

But for knockout tourney, better to go in early as the stack would become huge that your first all-in would result in only doubling up or busto without winning any bounty. U actually become a bounty's target instead of bounties hunter. Like the knockout turbo tourney, I played on Saturday, I managed to 4x my stack but without KO-ing any opponents when I came in late after 45 Mins.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby MJFX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:32 pm

your question is you can come early but whether to choose purposely come late...
my opinion is only do so if you have an ego to match him...

MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby Afternoon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:48 pm

MJFX wrote:your question is you can come early but whether to choose purposely come late...
my opinion is only do so if you have an ego to match him...

See his cap !
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Postby ronshaks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 pm

lol.. phew.. for awhile there i thot i was looking at a mirror.... then reality hit...there are only 3 gurls... so it can't be me...

thanks for the advices and i'll definitely take it to heart the next time i play another mtt... lol... so much for trying to wait till the field has downsized... but i find that the big non-turbo games with 180mins late reg.. can still go in at after 60mins... still ok... no?

once again, my grateful thanks for all the sifus advices... :)
ronshaks
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Return to Uncle Bob's Corner