sick beat.

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

sick beat.

Postby Nicefingers » Tue May 13, 2008 2:02 am

Well, this happens on a faithful and eventful friday at the clementi game of .5/1dollar. It was an incredible sick beat delivered by me when i was way behind. This is how it went:

I was utg, picked up [Ad] [Td] suited. I raised to 4. Folded to Cut off -2, He raised 11.50 more. Folded back to me. I called.

Flop comes:

[As] [6h] [Jc]

Before i could have acted, Villain shoved all in. I kindly reminded that i haven't acted and decision was pushed back to me. Villain has 84.50 behind and i took 10 minutes on my turn to think before i check. Villain's shoving is binding and so the decision was once again on me. I called after 10 minutes of analysing the possible hands that he can have and tossed packet of tissues for divine help.

Villain flipped over [Ah] [Js] and had me dominated. 'What a donk call' was probably on everybody's mind but a sick turn and river of QK completed my straight.

Turn:

[Qd]

River:
[Kh]

Well, my thought process was as follows:

Before this hand, i correctly called Villain's shove of 26 dollars and won with A8 suited when villain showed A6. So when villain re-raised my raise and shoves on the flop, i immediately put villain on a tilt move or semi bluff.

However, my past history on villain tells me that he isn't a reckless easily-tilted player so i put him on at least AK or 2 pair or a Set on second thought, justifying the shoves maybe bec he got over-excited as he flopped it imo.

However x2, that should not be the case because he would want to extract more money out than shoving and shutting me out with such an -EV play.

Therefore, i still went with my first read and got lucky. I wasn't really proud but i can't help gasping at the crazy amount of luck involved with that hand to scoop the 200.50 pot. I tipped the dealer 10 dollars.

On a side note: Though its better to be skillful than lucky, LUCK is still very much needed in poker.
Last edited by Nicefingers on Tue May 13, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Re: sick beat.

Postby vaevictis » Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 am

Interesting play, obviously outlevelled.

For every beat you give, be prepared to take one in the future.

-ve sklansky bucks on your decision here. Don't agree that luck is an important factor, only short term, but long term wise its non-significant at all.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Re: sick beat.

Postby Nicefingers » Tue May 13, 2008 4:59 pm

ya. its not an important factor but its needed.

yep i find my play very -EV also. taking too much risk.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats