how much bankroll needed exactly for 1/1 live games?

Ask poker-related questions and let the community extend a helping hand
Important Information
Ask a question and the community will answer.

how much bankroll needed exactly for 1/1 live games?

Postby pokkagreentea » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:02 pm

So i have been playing 0.5/0.5 for the past month,have been running quite well and thinking of moving to 1/1.

i know the standard rule is 20BI at least, but how much exactly to be safe? Most 1/1 game players buy in deep stacked,about 250BB onwards i heard?

Consider the swings of live games(though many fishes),i prefer to be safe. So how many BI would i need to tank the downswings?
pokkagreentea
New Fish

Re: how much bankroll needed exactly for 1/1 live games?

Postby thebiggame » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:55 pm

If it is your only source of income, consider using up to 50BI rule. If not, standard 20BI should be fine. The rest buy in 250bb or more should not affect how much you buy in. Playing with a 100BI standard stack is not short stacked poker. Look at it relative to the blinds, not your villain's stack.
thebiggame
New Fish

Postby chenghao » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:18 pm

as the BIs increase , the chance of going broke decreases.

however if u can replenish that level with real life income , then u dun really need like 120 BI

20 BIs is good, you work @ macdonalds for 2 months u can get that back
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby pokkagreentea » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 am

i believe both of you are regulars at 1/1 game? yes poker is currently my part time job before i go in army.

i've been like twice to a 1/1 game near my house (just for the experience),the stacks were effectively 250~600.

i sat down and didnt know they were so deep but decided to buy 100 anyway,was my first time anyway and didnt want to busto my hard earned roll from 0.5 .

i played tight and cashed out 400,one thing i realised is i just couldn't push people out from chasing their draws in multiway pots because they were so deep that my bets were just insignificant in their eyes.

Of course i still managed to get lucky and won alot because most of them missed their draws and i just picked up pots after pot.

what im trying to say is that 100bb at 1/1 games is still like a short stack(even though the blinds are 1/1 and i get what you mean),you have to effectively overbet the pot such as going all in with $70 for a $30 pot on the flop before you can push out the draws protecting ur TPTK/set/2pair .

1)if you bet 1/2 the pot,you are definitely inviting calls.
2)if you bet the pot,you will only have 40 behind and will have to go all in on the turn and STILL get called

I think i'll be going for 40BI or so just to be safe.
pokkagreentea
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby axel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:38 am

It's all about SPR, in live games if you buy in 100bb, you are most often the short stack since the preflop raise can be up to 10bb with a bunch of callers. By the time you see a flop, you have slightly more than a potsize bet left.
axel
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Good Seller (2)

Postby pokkagreentea » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:15 am

yea exactly,god i need alot of money to play 1/1 full time assuming i were to buy in 300.
pokkagreentea
New Fish

Postby thebiggame » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 am

From your words, I can guess that you play a 'grinding' style which is perfectly super +EV for home games here. Just whack hard at pots, betting much bigger than you normally would online, when you have it and many different kind of players will pay you off. If your bets made it -EV for them to draw and yet they called and sucked out on you, that is life but long term you know you will win a lot in the same situations.

And so far, I have not seen many strong big stack players at home games up to 2/2 stakes, so don't worry about playing 'so-call short stack poker' when you are 100bb deep.
thebiggame
New Fish

Postby felixleong » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:41 pm

50 buy-in
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby colorwolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm

dont play 1/1 live.
colorwolf
ABC Poker Player

Return to Community Service