Whats your views on Variance? (in the context of Poker)

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Whats your views on Variance? (in the context of Poker)

Postby vaevictis » Wed May 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Whats your views ?

Would be interested to have a discussion on this! Fire away!
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Re: Whats your views on Variance? (in the context of Poker)

Postby DM101 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Variance is like a roller coaster in wonderland. Experiencing ups and downs throughout the entire ride.
Any poker player has to accept the true fact that having VARIANCE is part of poker game.
Those who fail to understand simply do not understand this game well.
It's like a daddy telling his young son, " Son, I am paying 2 seats for this exciting ride, this ride is not for the weak hearts, if you wanna chicken out please tell daddy now. Or else be prepared for some funky action soon."
If the son after being warned by his dad is mentally prepared, he should be able to pull through the entire ride. But once again, it's easily said than done. It all depends on the emotion of the kid during the ride.
Likewise for a poker player, understanding variance is easy, but EXPERIENCING variance is totally different. That is why many poker books have been stressing to the readers to play at their comfort zone, especially when variance directly affecting their bankroll.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby ohboy » Wed May 28, 2008 7:02 pm

its very true

knowing about variance and experiencing is VERY different.
The experience can crack even the most experienced of players.
ohboy
Shark

Postby vaevictis » Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm

I like Chris part on the Experiencing.

I believe every player will experience it sometime or another in his time playing poker. The resulting mindset developed from this experience will probably be significant in shaping his beliefs in poker and variance.

Hope we can hear more views and sharing on their experiences with variance, good or bad.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Variance to me is what makes poker all so exciting, never knowing whether my next hand will give me more chips or get stacked by a big bad beat.

But somehow many players complain about it, most players hate bad beats and at many times so do I .
If given a choice of never needing to take any bad beat, where there is a system that would pay you the pot $$ according to your equity would you take it?

If your answer is yes, then you can have it ~ We call it a Job !!!

In a regular 8-5 job we are paid monthly the fixed amount of $$ base on our perceived level of skill, if you are flipping burgers u get a few $$ per hour, if you are a big decision maker (e.g manager) you get paid a lot.

What makes poker such an amazing game is that on any given day, luck can make anyone a big winner.
But over the long run, we will then know who are the real winners ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Ok variance...i believe that a significant factor of what makes a good player good is how he handles variance...

the way a poker player handles variance is just as impt as his plays...ironically...the worse u handle variance (mixing up variance with the way u play)...the more "variance" u will seem to experience...the " " is because the variance in itself doesnt actually change of course...but when u dont recognise and understand variance, u get bigger swings in ur results due to tilt (think u are playing bad when actually u are not) and over confidence (think u are playing gd when actually u are not) which makes ur results vary bigger causing the illusion that the variance is larger...when actually variance is the same and the so called "variance" is actually due to bad play...

I feel it is very VERY impt for a player to recognise when variance is at work....and when the play is juz plain bad....only then will the player be able to analyse his plays properly...and make appropriate adjustments...

of course its not that easy to recognise variance as it is...but as for me...i think the more we can recognise when variance is at work...the more we can ignore it and work on our plays...as variance will even out in the long run...and thus shouldnt be taken into acct at all in a search for better self understanding...

so in conclusion...variance is always there...its neither our friend or enemy...its like gravity (something u experience everyday but u never realise its at work...till u fall down)...its some invisible force of poker nature...and the more we recognise and understand it...the better we understand ourselves as well...

woah tts quite long...sry for making this so long winded and sry if i sound like im preaching (im not)...haaa im bored at work man...juz my (lil too philosphical) thoughts on variance and poker
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ohboy » Thu May 29, 2008 2:54 pm

felixleong wrote:Variance to me is what makes poker all so exciting, never knowing whether my next hand will give me more chips or get stacked by a big bad beat.

But somehow many players complain about it, most players hate bad beats and at many times so do I .
If given a choice of never needing to take any bad beat, where there is a system that would pay you the pot $$ according to your equity would you take it?

OR

You could just run the deck and hope for the best
ohboy
Shark

Postby ayasak » Thu May 29, 2008 3:13 pm

If good bankroll management is one of the keys to being able to experience variance while not going busto.

In that sense, variance would be equivalent to the luck factor eg. not busting your bankroll after getting rivered by a "what?!? U call my raises with that ?" type of hand.

In a Singlish context, though its not the exact meaning, but its kinda like another "chim" word for luck.

any comments?
ayasak
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 pm

ohboy wrote:
felixleong wrote:Variance to me is what makes poker all so exciting, never knowing whether my next hand will give me more chips or get stacked by a big bad beat.

OR

You could just run the deck and hope for the best

unless of course if you are charles holding pocket pair up against chris holding over cards....then running the deck will nv work

=)
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby felixleong » Thu May 29, 2008 5:51 pm

speaking of variance, i this month down 1k++ in cash games liao from bad beats and bad plays.
No mood to play much poker nowadays~ haiz
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby Nicefingers » Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm

variance = bad beat = AA cracked by 33s and get stacked.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby vaevictis » Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Why not:

Variance = good beat = AA vs KK and stack off KK.

No one ever sees it this way, little do they know what amount they win in every situation like this connotes a +ve variance amount of money.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby DM101 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 pm

felixleong wrote:speaking of variance, i this month down 1k++ in cash games liao from bad beats and bad plays.
No mood to play much poker nowadays~ haiz

Felix is indeed EXPERIENCING his variance this month.
Take a short break and come back with an awesome fighting spirit soon.
You still have 2 days before the end of the month, still have chance to recover from your losses right?
But just dun force & pressure yourself too much, just keep playing.......bite the bullet ya?
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Left 2 days comfirm cannot recover liao haha, will probably just rest it out.
Yeah just waiting for June to start anew ba, this month never accomplish much besides losing $$ and finally hitting supernova ba

Variance can make the game so fun and exciting, it can also make the game so sick and stressful

Zhuge liang once said " Human Devise, Heaven Decides "
" One Cannot Win All battles, Victory and Failure is Mother Nature"

Was he talking about variance? LOL
felixleong
Great White Shark

Next

Return to General Poker Chat