LOCAL LEGEND LEO BOXELL WINS APPT MELBOURNE MAIN EVENT

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

LOCAL LEGEND LEO BOXELL WINS APPT MELBOURNE MAIN EVENT

Postby DM101 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

MELBOURNE, Australia - Armed with patience, a loyal supporting cast, his wife Bev and the "Power of the Wombat," 69-year-old Leo "The Mechanic" Boxell took down the inaugural PokerStars.net APPT Melbourne Main Event title, earning AUD $330,000 in prize money.

"Thank you Crown, thank you PokerStars and thank you for all the people who hung around to support me. I really appreciate it," said Boxell in a brief post-tournament address to the crowd.

"Miserations to the runner-up, but he has played tremendously for four days. Very aggressive young fellow from New Zealand. I congratulate him for making second, and I'm sure there's going to be more wins for him in the future. Thank you very much," Boxell added.

The aforementioned runner-up was Phillip Willcocks from Auckland, New Zealand. The 28-year-old was nothing short of dominant during the four-day Main Event, finishing both Day 2 and 3 at the top of the tournament leaderboard. Boxell and Willcocks battled for the better part of two hours before the final hand went down. Willcocks earned AUD $207,600 for his runner-up finish.

A staple in the Australian poker scene for more than a decade, Boxell skyrocketed to the top of the Australia New Zealand Player of the Year leaderboard due to his efforts in Melbourne. Boxell has also moved past the $1 million mark in career tournament earnings with this victory.

PokerStars online qualifiers Eddie Mascardi and Jackson Zheng both reached the APPT Melbourne Main Event final table, finishing in seventh and eight place respectively.

The APPT Melbourne Main Event attracted a total of 260 runners from 18 countries, generating a prizepool worth AUD $1,222,000 AUD.

Team PokerStars Pro Chris Moneymaker made the trek Down Under for the launch of his "Moneymaker Poker Tour" campaign; a series of events around the world Chris will travel to for a little poker, a little fun and to help promote the game on the global stage. Chris' world tour includes stops in Barcelona, Edinburgh and Croatia to name a few.

While in Melbourne, Chris was introduced to Vegemite, had a family dinner with the Hachems, and even mixed it up with the locals in a $10 nightly rebuy event.

Moneymaker reached Day 2 of the APPT Melbourne Main Event, but was eliminated out of the money.

Team PokerStars was also represented by Joe Hachem (Australia), Bryan Huang (Asia) and Keiran Harris (Team Online). Harris was the only one of the bunch to finish in the money (24th - AUD $9,800). Hachem was eliminated on Day 1 and Huang on Day 2.

Other notable money winners include Van Marcus (5th - $73,300), Julius Colman (9th - $27,500), Michael Guzzardi (15th - $15,300), Kyle Cheong (18th - $12,200), Mitch Carle (20th - $12,200) and Ricky Kroesen (23rd - $9,800).

PokerStars sent 74 players to the APPT Melbourne Main Event.

FINAL TABLE PAYOUTS (Amounts listed in AUD):

1st: Leo Boxell - $330,000

2nd: Phillip Willcocks - $207,600
3rd: Steve Bouya - $116,000
4th: Will Jones - $88,600

5th: Van Marcus - $73,300

6th: Michael Frydman, Australia - $58,000

7th: Eddie Mascardi, Australia (PokerStars Qualifier) - $45,800
8th: Jackson Zheng, New Zealand (PokerStars Qualifier) - $36,700
9th: Julius Colman, Australia - $27,500
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: LOCAL LEGEND LEO BOXELL WINS APPT MELBOURNE MAIN EVENT

Postby kilerkido » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Bro! The cut and paste format is not good leh! I checked on both my IE and Firefox, the content always didn't display correctly leh!
kilerkido
ABC Poker Player

Postby DM101 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:05 pm

kilerkido wrote:Bro! The cut and paste format is not good leh! I checked on both my IE and Firefox, the content always didn't display correctly leh!

What do you mean by content always didn't display correctly?

Can you do a printscreen your screen and post the screenshot here? Greatly appreciate that.

I am not sure it's just you or happen to the other kakis as well?
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby pokerace » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 am

mine ok,np!
pokerace
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby axel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm

DM101 wrote:
kilerkido wrote:Bro! The cut and paste format is not good leh! I checked on both my IE and Firefox, the content always didn't display correctly leh!

What do you mean by content always didn't display correctly?

Can you do a printscreen your screen and post the screenshot here? Greatly appreciate that.

I am not sure it's just you or happen to the other kakis as well?

A portion on the right side of the post got cut off, not sure if it's my laptop screen being too small or what.

It's the same for the reports of LWPS for me as well.
axel
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Good Seller (2)

Return to Asian Poker News