[livepoker] - how would you play this hand on button

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Re: [livepoker] - how would you play this hand on button

Postby crshe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:20 pm

vinally, if u r interested u can always come and play with the 'fish' again.. :) u know which game to find him at.

btw just my 2cents.. if fish could call your shove on turn and INSTANTLY ask if you have AK.. you have to give him due credit there.
crshe
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Vinally » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:24 pm

crshe wrote:vinally, if u r interested u can always come and play with the 'fish' again.. :) u know which game to find him at.

btw just my 2cents.. if fish could call your shove on turn and INSTANTLY ask if you have AK.. you have to give him due credit there.

Ha crshe, of cos i have to give him credit though. :D, hmm i didnt hear him saying AK. it is ok.
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Vinally » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 pm

I think I know why he call me . he put me on range like ak aq and the action of aggressive seem suspicious (maybe), plus top pair , the reasons made him call me down. I think this should be that answer.
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Jwww » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 am

Fishhy vinally
Jwww
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Vinally » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:23 am

ya jwww, i am fish.

:(
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Postby chickenkid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 pm

u move at all with 18% equity on the turn which is pretty bad play. Since he called the yr c-bet, he is most likely to call all the way, thats how fishes play. AK 3 bet pre pretty standard, c-bet ok. but still dont hit, check-fold would be a better option. instead of losing whole stack with ak.
chickenkid
New Fish

Postby ryojin84 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 pm

i hope gosubay can chime in but anyway....

i think preflop is high variance against a 9bb open by UTG (unless u know that he plays like dis wif AQ n weaker?)

postflop i think checking turn to mayb call his river float seems better since he thinks that ur range sucks + he loves to float

PS: i think SB's play is really bad
ryojin84
New Fish

Postby nekigosu888 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm

went to my first live poker home game. what do they mean by buying insurance? and also when they all-in,what do they mean by running 1 time or 2 time?
nekigosu888
New Fish

Postby xcaliblur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:04 pm

nekigosu888 wrote:went to my first live poker home game. what do they mean by buying insurance? and also when they all-in,what do they mean by running 1 time or 2 time?

Buying insurance means that when you are a favourite to win against a villain and there are still cards to come, but villain has draws or outs to beat you (both players at this point have gone all in and have revealed their hands). You can offer another player a small % of the pot eg 5%-10%, which he/she can collect if you win at river. In return, that player will insure you by giving you a set amount of chips if you do happen to lose the pot. The exact % of the pot and the amount of insurance has to be agreed upon and can differ based on how many outs the villain has

Running the pot once or twice is a simpler concept. Again it happens when there are 2 players left in a hand, and both have gone all in, before the river. You can choose to run the remaining cards either once or two times (or even more than twice) and the pot is split by how many times you run the remaining cards. Eg if you run it twice each run will be good for half the pot if it is 3 times each run is good for 1/3 pot. Both players have to agree on how many times to run it, and if no agreement can be reached then it will just be run once
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Postby xcaliblur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 pm

@ thread poster- i dont agree with this method of play- following is my opinion:
1. UTG raised BB by 9 times- is such a big raise from such a bad position. I normally wouldnt 3 bet from dealer button, unless i know for sure raiser is a loose maniac. AK i will just call to see the flop. After all, you have a nice hand, and you have position, you can afford to see a flop and decide from there.
2. After SB has checked call the flop i think it is time to shut down. the flop is relatively dry, and if someone has called a CBet OOP, then usually that signals that he has something. Also have to consider the fact that he may have flopped a set, in which case you are near drawing dead.
3. Turn shove is pretty bad. You have AK high and 10 outs if villain has a pair, and that is best case scenario. That puts you to ~20% chance of winning the pot. The only value from this play would be the fold equity, but have to consider that villain has called a 3 bet preflop and a cbet on flop, using a significant portion of his stack. This greatly diminshes the fold equity you have.
4. AK is a strong hand, but many players tend to overplay this hand. Until you connect with something, you really only have A high.Sure, SB seems like a fish and a calling station, but you also made a mistake of not putting him on a range of hands ( and realising that quite a number of these hands will call you down) and just shoving and hoping he will fold

Just my 2 cents
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Postby nekigosu888 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm

xcaliblur wrote:
nekigosu888 wrote:went to my first live poker home game. what do they mean by buying insurance? and also when they all-in,what do they mean by running 1 time or 2 time?

Buying insurance means that when you are a favourite to win against a villain and there are still cards to come, but villain has draws or outs to beat you (both players at this point have gone all in and have revealed their hands). You can offer another player a small % of the pot eg 5%-10%, which he/she can collect if you win at river. In return, that player will insure you by giving you a set amount of chips if you do happen to lose the pot. The exact % of the pot and the amount of insurance has to be agreed upon and can differ based on how many outs the villain has

Running the pot once or twice is a simpler concept. Again it happens when there are 2 players left in a hand, and both have gone all in, before the river. You can choose to run the remaining cards either once or two times (or even more than twice) and the pot is split by how many times you run the remaining cards. Eg if you run it twice each run will be good for half the pot if it is 3 times each run is good for 1/3 pot. Both players have to agree on how many times to run it, and if no agreement can be reached then it will just be run once

thanks bro for your reply :D

but i don't understand in what situation would a player want to run the pot twice or thrice times?

Does this insurance and running the pot more than once thing only happen in home games? because i don't see it happening in any major tournament replays i have watched
nekigosu888
New Fish

Postby EmissaryofTruth » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm

You can't do it in tourneys of course because it affects other player's equity while in cash games it's only between 2 of you. Plus the house is happy to let you run it a few times with both players hopefully getting something out of it so they can continue raking lol.

You run the pot a few times to reduce variance. For example you are a 2 to 1 favorite PF with AK vs AQ and you run it thrice so the AQ will likely win once and get close to it's expected value. The player ahead is happy to avoid variance and make it more likely he picks up the majority of the pot while the player behind recognizes in most cases he will lose the entire pot and is happy to get his equity back. Running is better than insurance because the odds don't change but in insurance you pay a premium for somebody to absorb variance for you so to speak so it's generally -EV.
EmissaryofTruth
New Fish

Previous

Return to General Poker Chat