Help me with this hand please. AJo in MP.

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Help me with this hand please. AJo in MP.

Postby Breen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 am

BB: t2595 64.88 BBs
UTG: t3140 78.50 BBs
UTG+1: t3055 76.38 BBs
UTG+2: t2875 71.88 BBs
Hero (MP1): t2960 74 BBs
MP2: t8805 220.12 BBs
CO: t2860 71.50 BBs
BTN: t2940 73.50 BBs
SB: t3020 75.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t60) Hero is MP1 [Ad] [Jh]
UTG calls t40, 2 folds, Hero raises to t155, 3 folds, SB calls t135, BB calls t115, UTG calls t115

Flop: (t620) [Kc] [3d] [4d] (4 players)
SB checks, BB bets t160, UTG calls t160, Hero calls t160, SB folds

Turn: (t1100) [Js] (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets t560, Hero folds, BB folds

I played this very weirdly and I can't put a finger on it yet. Appreciate it if someone just point out the obvious for me?

Very early in the tournament, had my starting stack thereabouts.

I felt he may have the K or was on a draw and betting me out. Reraising on the turn would leave me with half my stack or busto. Just felt he did have the king. UTG I felt was your usual if he had half a brain he would be dangerous cockster, plays 27s on the button, calling 10x raises, calling utg and flatting with AKs vs 4 opponents and calling ALL streets till he got there etc.

Looking back now, re raising on the the flop be a better move to "see where I am at?" Seeing where I am at is still a possibly play right :? If we go along with this and UTG calls, and UTG bets out half pot on the turn, would it still be a signal to fold? If he re-raised my hypothetical raise on the flop, clear fold?

Was it a fishy scaredy fold? I am already too much of a calling station and am just not sure about this. Appreciate all your help and beratements.
Breen
New Fish

Re: Help me with this hand please. AJo in MP.

Postby codenameDK » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:11 pm

AJ os in middle position is not the strongest. Though you led out with your hand, the players that were left to act might have something else more legit, and were trapping. After the flop, you should have let go your hand, as statistically you were a underdog, and had about 3 outs or less to win.

imo, UTG called BB, called on the flop, bet on the turn, indicator he has AK, KQ, KK? those are highly probable hands with his play. Never assume that someone is loon on the table, as that is a sure way for you to have a losing game. Often players conceal their behavior with possible false tells. Always give the respect to the players that you expect to receive.

hope i was of help!
codenameDK
New Fish

Postby kklp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I share the same sentiments as codenameDK, AJo is not the strongest early or MP hand to be 3betting preflop. Maybe you felt your table was abit tight, but I'd generally advise you to stay away from re-raising these kinds of hands early in the tourny - saves you from a lot of trouble. No need to risk too much of your chips this early in the tourny mate, and no need to do anything funky with this hand since its still early and you have quite a bit of manoveurvability with your stack.
kklp
ABC Poker Player

Postby xcaliblur » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 pm

At the flop you only had A high on a board of K34 with 2 diamonds. BB has bet, UTG has called. You should have folded here. What can you possibly have beat? There is no way someone will bet and someone will call and both of them have a hand worse than AJo there. On top of that you have no draw whatsoever. Worse case scenario, there are couple of hands that have you extremely crushed there- AK, AA, any king with another diamond, KJ, etc.

Plus in tourneys many people like slowplaying big hands UTG, UTG called on flop and led out big on the turn should be indicator of this. Usually in this spot, it is highly unlikely that UTG would be bluffing.

I see no reason why the call on the flop was justified.
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Breen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks folks. Agreed it should have been a fold on the flop now looking back. I guess I called because I felt UTG was a very weak gambol player. But yes, I have to also take BB more into consideration. Also, don't go about having perception errors and UTG turns out to know what he is doing.

Thanks alot guys~ Much much appreciated.
Breen
New Fish

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats