T dollars on PS. Play to bankroll or take shots?

Discuss the intricacies of the most popular format of them all

T dollars on PS. Play to bankroll or take shots?

Postby Breen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey guys, a question and some opinions from y'all please.

I won a ticket to the Sunday Storm. Its 11 PS T-dollars. Thats all cool and all, kinda a goal for 2012 to sat into a "big" tourney.
But I figure, the Storm is like mirrions and mirrions of people. Getting to the money alone is tough. I'm still learning how to navigate 3k+ tourney fields, let alone the Storm.

Would it be better to keep things to my bankroll? 11 T-dollars is 5 $2.20 MTTs or 10 $1.10s. I do ok in these. I could also play some Bigs or some other $11 tourney. Or should I huat ah on the Storm at 2.30 a.m Monday morning.
Breen
New Fish

Re: T dollars on PS. Play to bankroll or take shots?

Postby dilkkz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm

depends how badly it'll affect your bankroll. everyone playing the WSOP ME can't possibly have at least 100buyins of 10k in their BR. If you feel that the T$11 will help boost your BR greatly, then might as well do the 10 $1.10s.

imho most importantly if you feel comfortable playing storm without worrying that it's a big hit to your BR, time to play the storm and huat ah
dilkkz
New Fish

Postby chickenkid » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 am

play heads up sit and go with the T dollar and win!
chickenkid
New Fish

Postby MJFX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Never take shots, almost never happen.
When i started playing poker, i find small buy in no kick, my 1st live tourney was in genting, went longjie after knowing pokerkaki, knew about macau and played appt.
Now im playing smaller and smaller but comfortable.
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Breen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm taking the smaller buy ins, have done so already,. Don't want to waste 11 T-dollars when I can play at tables I know are full of cocksters who call shoves with 83s when I had 5s and I hit a set on the flop and he still gets the flush. +EV still lah.
Breen
New Fish

Postby hannsonmickey12 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Yes. You should never take the shots. Better stick to the ones you're focusing.
hannsonmickey12
New Fish

Postby hannsonmickey12 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Is this any members more active with this discussion. Let's create unique ideas and make a strong discussion.
hannsonmickey12
New Fish

Postby Breen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for replying, all.

I too, after more 'experience', would continue to play tournaments in my bankroll.

I probably close-to-bustoed the $11 btw. I have to go through my records to see if I did ok on the T11.

I would, however, play a big-named tourney if I satty-ied it, say Sun Millions or a live event, even if the bankroll is tiny, as it's an experience and you might bink something anything, like maratik did for the WCOOP.

Unless you feel you have zero hope in the pro fields, then I still suggest playing the pennydollar games with a Sunday Million ticket.
Breen
New Fish

Postby NOTNobody » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 am

I am also kinda struggling with this dilemma. At first, I had won satellites twice to WCOOP kickoff. Then, I lost control of my discipline, playing satellites for higher buy-in, hoping to snag more T-money and to be comfortable at taking the shot. Eventually, I downed my entire profit + almost my entire bankroll. Needless to say, I couldn't play the kickoff.

So, perhaps being more discipline in managing your bankroll is more crucial than throwing caution to the wind and hope for lady luck to smile at you?

That said, I don't mean totally not trying. If you're nailing the MTT at your level, you should eventually earn enough to move up the stakes. Basically, take shots at the MTT you're currently comfortable with. If you're doing okay at $1.10 and $2,20, you could also take a shot at the $3.30 hot(ter) and big(ger). The prize money if you go deep is quite decent at the level we're playing in.

Another method is to try playing the satellites. If you win, you take the shot at a fractional cost. If you don't win, treat it as you losing the big tournament at a fractional cost. Just don't farm satellites, it gets expensive (at least for me lah). And start viewing satellites as a chance to take shots at higher level tournaments instead of viewing it as another MTT/STT for you to build your bankroll (that's what I was doing and failing). Unless you're really killing most of the satellites, then you can specialize in it and become a sat-farmer instead of a tourney player or a MTT grinder.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Postby boymalap » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 am

That said, I don't mean totally not trying. If you're nailing the MTT at your level, you should eventually earn enough to move up the stakes. Basically, take shots at the MTT you're currently comfortable with. If you're doing okay at $1.10 and $2,20, you could also take a shot at the $3.30 hot(ter) and big(ger). The prize money if you go deep is quite decent at the level we're playing in.

Its all about bankroll management.200 buyins is standard.More would ensure you wont drop down stakes. For competitive wise,players in buyin up to $20 will be almost identical.

Another method is to try playing the satellites. If you win, you take the shot at a fractional cost. If you don't win, treat it as you losing the big tournament at a fractional cost. Just don't farm satellites, it gets expensive (at least for me lah). And start viewing satellites as a chance to take shots at higher level tournaments instead of viewing it as another MTT/STT for you to build your bankroll (that's what I was doing and failing). Unless you're really killing most of the satellites, then you can specialize in it and become a sat-farmer instead of a tourney player or a MTT grinder.

Satellites are good to play if you want to have a shot at a mtt that you are not rolled for. For example,
Bankroll : $500, grinding the $1-2 mtts/sngs.
Satellites : $2.20 9man sng,2 seats gtd to sunday storm
$ 1.50 9man sng,First place to sunday storm
Satellites are soft in general.The play in a $50 Mtt satellites to sunday million is almost identical to a $10 mtt/sngs.This is why encourage people to grind satellites.Most players are plain bad in the latter stages where icm knowledge is crucial.If you have a decent knowledge of icm, getting a roi up to 30% grinding the $10> satellites is achievable. I have build a bankroll up to 20k just by grinding sattelites :) so can you guys
boymalap
ABC Poker Player

Return to Multi Table Tournaments ( MTTs)