Living in Macau

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

Living in Macau

Postby ikanbilis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Just quit my job. I'm planning to try out my skills in macau cash games for a period of one month. I have a few questions here if some of the macau pros can give me some help.

1) How much bankroll should I bring if I want to play cash games 25/50? I'm budgetting hkd100k for a month.

2) Any agents for me to find an apartment room? I'm budgetting about hkd6000 a month for the room.

3) Is it realistic to play for a living here if I could make hkd40k to hkd50k a month?

Last year I was vacation in Macau and played in Wynn and Venetian mainly cash games 25/50 and I made hkd20k during the 4 day period. However I also realise that vacation play and playing full time to earn a living might a whole different story. That's why I just want to try out for a month first before any real commitment.

Any insights would be much appreciated.
ikanbilis
New Fish

Re: Living in Macau

Postby felixleong » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:45 am

good luck ~
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ikanbilis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Planned to play in the macau poker cup main event but the tigerairways detour to hongkong let me down on Feb 24. Therefore only played for the last event no.9 hkd2500 KO bounty. Managed to be placed 7th out of 236 players. Not a tournament player, this is the best result for me so far. Hoping to learn and play more along the way.

Cheers! :D
ikanbilis
New Fish

Postby kr176 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 pm

ikanbilis wrote:Just quit my job. I'm planning to try out my skills in macau cash games for a period of one month. I have a few questions here if some of the macau pros can give me some help.

1) How much bankroll should I bring if I want to play cash games 25/50? I'm budgetting hkd100k for a month.

2) Any agents for me to find an apartment room? I'm budgetting about hkd6000 a month for the room.

3) Is it realistic to play for a living here if I could make hkd40k to hkd50k a month?

Last year I was vacation in Macau and played in Wynn and Venetian mainly cash games 25/50 and I made hkd20k during the 4 day period. However I also realise that vacation play and playing full time to earn a living might a whole different story. That's why I just want to try out for a month first before any real commitment.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

4 day winning stretch and you quit your job to be a full time poker player?????? I hope you did not based your decision on this.

U won 2BI for 4 days.......(i assuming u BI max 10k).......this is call variance......u will have long stretches of card dead/bad beats/losing flips, will u be able to take it?

How sure of you of beating that game on long term basis??????

Look at the cost of living in Macau:

Rental - HKD 10k (Good standard of living and not some dirty apartment)
Food - 100HKDx3 mealsx30days = HKD9k
Monthly flight - HKD 3000

Min to breakeven is HKD22,000 assuming you don't have gambling habits and other vices.

Do you have HKD150k to tahan 6 months of breakeven poker????????

I wish you well if you have started. But you need to reconsider before packing your bags. Dont quit your job, try out week/a month and if you can still beat the game at > HKD100k per month or whatever > 3x/5x current income, do it. It is not fun at all to grind poker vs recreation play.
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby kr176 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Ikan Bilis,

I have won HKD 100k over 4 days in Macau too......trust me i felt like Ivey. Unbeatable.........but i have come to realize that it was a heater.

Its easy to beat the game when u flop set every other PP u have. Hahaha.....
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ikanbilis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 pm

kr176,

Thanks for your input. I have only been here for 5 days and I just lived in a hotel in zhuhai coz its cheaper. So far I have made hkd50,000 in cash games plus one MPC tournament. i'm not playing every day, just having some fun here in zhuhai.

Anyway i heard that RWS will soon have a poker room in March? Planning to move back here once it's confirmed.
ikanbilis
New Fish

Postby kr176 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 am

Congrats, good on u for the score.

Keep that bankroll well and grow it.
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Postby stussyboi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 pm

are u in starworld for awhile wif g_ _ _ _ e yesterday?
stussyboi
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 5
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ikanbilis » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 pm

stussyboi wrote:are u in starworld for awhile wif g_ _ _ _ e yesterday?

Not me....im in zhuhai yesterday and today. Only played in Grand Lisboa and Wynn for the past few days....

Going Dongguan tomorrow w my friends and be back after March 5. Can meet up for coffee when you are free.

Cheers :P
ikanbilis
New Fish

Postby ikanbilis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Just an update from Macau. Been here for 18 days and been playing in Grand Lisboa, Wynn and Starworld. I would say the ambience at Starworld is the best with some really cute chicks assisting you. Only let down is only 4 cash game tables available including one PLO. Therefore have to wait long long to find an available seat. There is one particular hand 10/25 that i played badly at Starworld and need some input please.

I was holding KK and raise 4 times the BB (First mistake, raise too little. Usually 6-7 times BB is the norm for 10/25 table. Otherwise HKD100 is just too cheap for any hand to call). I have 3 callers. Flop comes Qh 7h 4c. I bet the pot HKD425, first 2 callers fold, then the 3rd caller raised me to HKD1325. I read him correctly and putting him on a flush draw. What is my best move here?

1) Plain call another hkd900 too see the turn.

2) Raise to HKD3000 trying to get him to fold?

3) Go ALL-In with my remaining HKD4500 and win all his chips if he calls. Of course I will lose all my chips too if he catches a heart.
ikanbilis
New Fish

Postby VictorLau » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Pot is 2275 based on U raised to 100, 4 callers, total 425. U better pot 425, total now 950. Alien raised to 1325 now total 2275. This means he raised by another 900 which is roughly size of Pot.

Are you sure he has a flush draw or hit a set? Based on his not re-raising you at PreFlop perhaps I can assume that he may have Pocket 4 or 7. Not possible for him to have a straight draw (I think).

I will pick option 1 or 3. If the next card misses the Flush threat I would bet around 1k and see his reaction. With just the river he only has around 18% but he may just call your 1k. I doubt he will slowplay his sets with just a call and if at that stage raises again, I will actually think of folding. The only hand that you can beat him then is if he is holding AQ.

Tough decision I must say.
VictorLau
ABC Poker Player

Postby kr176 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Tough spot indeed, but i do see some benefits towards calling flop and shoving any non A non Hearts turn if you want to reduce variance.

Against any Axhh hand, you are at best flipping otf.

U like starworld? I am surprised, pretty dead in my opinion and fill of paid grinders employed by Starworld with occoasional WHALES!!!! I have seen some baccarat high rollers donking 10/15 buyin a night. Hahaha

My main grouse is the suspected collusion amongst grinders there........always makes me uneasy. Oh and expect any floor ruling to help grinders for obvious reasons.

Wynn is till best run shop hands down in my opinion.
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ikanbilis » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks for input. He actually had 3h5h. That's why i said my raise pre-flop 4BB was the first mistake. I should have raised to at least 6BB or 7BB. After he raised me after the flop, i made it ALL-IN, suspecting he had the flush draw. I was hoping him to fold actually because we were even in chips. But he made the call and lady luck was not on my side and the turn was Jh. On hindsight, calling his raise would be a more prudent way to play.

I like Starworld bcos the chicks are cute. Haha. I also see a lot of grinders at Wynn and they mainly play 25/50. That's why I'm avoiding Wynn right now.
ikanbilis
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby kr176 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Hahaha, u were technically behind......as for small raise....hmm, it ok ba, u do want some action i guess.....

Good luck in your quest in Macau, hope i can go for my holiday soon instead of stuck at work now.....lets do dinner ok?
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Return to Asian Poker News