How to play AA in SB/BB with a 3-bet infront

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

How to play AA in SB/BB with a 3-bet infront

Postby sengkang » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Effective stack 100BB. All players are reg and you have a TAG image.

You are in the SB/BB with AA.

MP open raise to 3BB. BU 3-bet to 10BB. What will you do and why?

Hope to get your views before I post mine.

Thank you.
sengkang
ABC Poker Player

Re: How to play AA in SB/BB with a 3-bet infront

Postby joshhsh » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 pm

all in,.,, u wouldnt want to kena bad beat. actually theres no right or wrong way to play... must see luck also..
for mi i would reraise to 3-5 times the pot when its my turn to act. after flop definitely all in. unless got flop another A then slow play. u wouldnt wan kena bad beat by some suckers
joshhsh
ABC Poker Player

Medals: 1
Good Seller (1)

Postby kklp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:23 pm

pot/jam it. button has shown considerable strength by raising it to 10bb, and by any indication will very likely push after your big 3-bet at which point you will snap call and cross your fingers.

if you feel you can outplay them after the flop though, feel free to limp call - but personally, since the villians have already raised it preflop for me, i woud prefer to get all my money in preflop.
kklp
ABC Poker Player

Postby VictorLau » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Generally if it is a heads up I would take the risk and limp in (just call the raise) but if there is anymore than 2 players, the risks to an AA increases dramatically anytime a potential flush or straight draw or even a mid open pair surfaces.

I will raise another 15-20 BB pushing the pot to about 40-50 BB, which means I am quite sure that the player who calls my raise probably holds a mid high pair, AK to AJ suited. After the Flop I will push All In to get him out unless some very ghastly Flops like KQJ or high suited cards etc.

It also depends on how much chips they have behind them. Assuming 100BB as you said, another 15BB re raise would be great and an all in after flop would really put him/her in a difficult position, probably forcing him to fold or perhaps getting him on tilt to call with his QQ or JJ.

Just my thoughts
VictorLau
ABC Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby chenghao » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm

4bet to 22.5 - 25 bb

I want a wider range of hands 5bet me.

I dont want to price MP in
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby mugiwara84 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

fold
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

APPT Participant (1)

Postby iastate » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 pm

There are a few ways of playing under this situation depending on how you read their hands and their styles. MP could have any premium hand or a middle pocket pair. BU might have a strong hand like AK, QQ, etc. or he/she could have been trying to steal the pot.

Under most circumstances and assuming each player still had 100 BB, I would not go all in but 4-bet to around 30 BB instead. Going all in might force the other two players to fold and you can't extract the best value out of your pocket AA. (Unless they had a very strong hand like KK or they think you are bluffing.) By 4-betting here, you can get the weaker one to fold and see the flop heads-up. If one of them had a strong hand, they might move all in and you can comfortably call the all-in.

I would not flat call the 3-bet as this might get the MP to call as well. This is dangerous to pocket AA.

Once you see the flop heads-up, you should know how to play your hand depending on the flop. If you think your hand is good, try and check-raise all in.
iastate
New Fish

Postby chickenkid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 am

FOLD.
chickenkid
New Fish

Postby Brasstal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:00 pm

mugiwara84 wrote:fold

Prob best way to reduce variance to avoid getting bad beat
Brasstal
Team PokerStar Asia

Medals: 11
Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) RPT Participant (1) FPT Participant (1) WSOP Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Helpful Kaki (1)
Good Seller (1)

Postby soulari- » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Depends on your reads as said before. How do you see the regs and how do they see you? Being a reg doesnt say anything about their approach to the game. You can be a tag in different ways. You can prefer picking up smaller pots more often by being very agressive and not ever bluff in bigger pots or be a tagfish for example.
In general 3bets and 4bets are so rare in live games. Not that many people have the overview to see a resteal spot. So if you just 4b because you've got aces then you dont play poker. It's all about the optimal play.

Fwiw now with the given information. Actually the information you did not give..so I assume u didnt assess the info. This usually means to me that hero plays straightforward in the blinds. MP has a wide range of hands. Button picks this up and isolates with decent 3b. If hero in the blinds raises here it makes the hand face up KK+. I dont even think AK would 4b. So call and see a flop 2way or 3way. You can get a lot more value of weaker hands like AQ, TT.
Flop is fairly simple as most people play straightforward in 3b pots.
soulari-
New Fish

Postby mugiwara84 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Brasstal wrote:
mugiwara84 wrote:fold

Prob best way to reduce variance to avoid getting bad beat

we're speaking from painful experience of course :D
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

APPT Participant (1)

Postby Orca_Chris » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 pm

4 bet / all in pre. Unless you have a perfect read on that person's holdings. Otherwise get your $ in pre. Aces is just there to give you some free pots : )
Orca_Chris
New Fish

Postby ryojin84 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm

VictorLau wrote:Generally if it is a heads up I would take the risk and limp in (just call the raise) but if there is anymore than 2 players, the risks to an AA increases dramatically anytime a potential flush or straight draw or even a mid open pair surfaces.

I will raise another 15-20 BB pushing the pot to about 40-50 BB, which means I am quite sure that the player who calls my raise probably holds a mid high pair, AK to AJ suited. After the Flop I will push All In to get him out unless some very ghastly Flops like KQJ or high suited cards etc.

It also depends on how much chips they have behind them. Assuming 100BB as you said, another 15BB re raise would be great and an all in after flop would really put him/her in a difficult position, probably forcing him to fold or perhaps getting him on tilt to call with his QQ or JJ.

Just my thoughts

lol so u 4bet/shove, and hope that opponent folds when u have the best hand !?
ryojin84
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby VictorLau » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Ryojin

From experience he will not fold. If he wanted to fold he will do so when I 4Bet. A very good player will probably fold unless he holds KK. A fish or semi fish (half cooked fish?) who takes you on when you 4Bet to about 40BB is already pot committed and once that happens it will not dawn on him to fold his hand.

Then again it also depends on who the person is. I can also trap him with a check raise if the Flop are pure rags with no flush or straight draws, eg 2-6-10 *and hopefully that guy did not come in with his pocket 10s. By checking I show weakness and half cooked fish will pounce on it with probably a bet about 30% of the pot. Poor guy is already committed.

I don't think I can definitely say that THIS is the way to play. It depends on too many factors.
VictorLau
ABC Poker Player

Next

Return to General Poker Strategy