Extremely Important Information

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Re: Extremely Important Information

Postby ohboy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:38 pm

go ahead and start it

i'm interested
ohboy
Shark

Postby felixleong » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 pm

whats the full name of ICM ah? I forgot liao, but I do know it must be in the heart of all serious SNG grinders right?
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby bingzz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 pm

ICM = Independent Chip Model

What do you guys think is the balance we should take between playing purely based on maths and playing based on tournament life?
These 2 could sometimes be very conflicting.

I have had stretches where I played purely mathematically but I realized that I lose money over the stretch because there are many times that playing by percentage and odds caused me to not make it into the money. But when I play heavily relying on tournament life, sometimes I make it in the money, but there are also times that it brings me to the top of the SNG even from a stack that is barely surviving when I made it into the money.

Still, I always always calculate my odds. I've been adopting a more balanced play this few days while grinding out on the $1 turbo SNGs on Pokerstars. But a word of caution, turbo games have higher variance as blinds move up so fast that everyone's M drops very quickly and thus, you see all-in confrontations a lot once the blinds hit $50/100.

I currently have an ROI of about 30% which could have been higher but my experimentation with various styles at this level of play which caused my ROI to drop.
bingzz
New Fish

Previous

Return to General Poker Strategy