what to do when down swing?

Ask poker-related questions and let the community extend a helping hand
Important Information
Ask a question and the community will answer.

what to do when down swing?

Postby Louis1988 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:26 am

Hi kakis, I've been on a massive down swing lately been getting sick bad beat on every other table. Like really damn suay I can be ahead and villian always manage to catch up on the river, flop trips(basically any bad beat you can think of keep happening constantly). This have been going on for about more than a week. feel so sick. any advice? I've tried taking a day break and all it doesn't seem to help.
Louis1988
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: what to do when down swing?

Postby roysai » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 am

shag the dealer..it helps
roysai
New Fish
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Re: what to do when down swing?

Postby ThornTan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 am

Treat the downswings as a norm, dont think that u have to win.. Expect to lose every time u start to play a session and play with a clear mind, not trying to chase back your loss.. Well its easier said than done... But if there were previous results to prove u are a +ev player then it can be done.. Try mindfulness meditation before starting ur session and it can help clear ur mind and relax yourself..
ThornTan
New Fish
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:31 pm
Medals: 1
Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Re: what to do when down swing?

Postby iZech » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:42 am

its normal to have down swing, but nd to know that its happening and stop afew days to afew weeks. and dun let those bad beat affect ur play ( eg. when u hit dun dare to bet or raise as u scare ppl may have better etc )

thats y we have a bankroll, stick to 50-100buy in for that stake ur playing u should be able to take the down swing and come back once again!

gl on table!
iZech
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Five Tips for Dealing with a Downswing

Postby DM101 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the game.

If you've experienced a lengthy swing, you can attest to the fact that it makes you question everything you have ever done in poker.

You start to wonder if you ever actually did beat the game. You wonder if the players are all getting better or if the deck is just stacked against you.

In reality, you're just as likely to be a few good cards away from a heater.

These are five tips to get you back on the right track:

1) Take Some Time Off

When it gets to the point where you don't even want to look at poker, don't.

You'll be amazed at how much better you feel after taking a day or two away from the game to relax.

In the midst of a downswing, frustration will often get the best of you. Nobody plays their best when they're tilting - even a little bit.

Some much-needed time away from two-outers and rivered flushes will allow you to clear your mind and come back to the game fresh.

2) Keep Things in Perspective

You are a winning player. You have done very well at poker to get to this point.

That wasn't all luck.

Downswings happen to everyone. They're a part of the game.

It may seem like you can't win now, but in reality nothing has changed - you're just playing in a game dominated by long-term skill but short-term luck.

In the long run, the good players will always win and the bad players will always lose.

You have to take the good with the bad.

If you want to have those 10 buy-in days where you go on sick heaters and steamroll the table, you have to be able to stomach the other side: the prolonged downswing.

3) Take a Step Down

Downswings can be hard on both your morale and your bankroll. A good way to get back on your feet is to move down in stakes.

Playing smaller gives you a chance to play with a lower stress level. With the weight of the money off your shoulders, you can concentrate on beating the softer competition.

When you're running bad, sometimes all it takes is a few winning sessions to get your confidence back.

You can jump back into your regular game whenever you feel you are ready!

4) Take a Look at Your Game

Although downswings are inevitable, the longer they drag on the more you should take a look at your game.

Everyone thinks they're better than they really are, and the middle of a downswing is a great time to really take a look at your game and see if you are playing your best poker.

Downswings lead to frustration and frustration leads to tilt; tilt leads to the dark side. And of course by dark side, I mean bad play.

Go over your hand histories with a poker-playing friend. Are you actually getting unlucky or are you putting yourself into too many marginal situations?

You may be surprised at what you find when you get past that "poor me" attitude.

5) Fooooooooocus

Nothing is going to pull you out of a downswing like good decision making. You just have to play through it.

If you focus on making the best possible decision every single time the action is on you, you'll be back to your winning ways before you know it.


Hope all these pointers can help you to build up the fighting spirit again.

Good luck at the tables!
User avatar
DM101
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 am
Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: what to do when down swing?

Postby Louis1988 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

ThornTan wrote:Treat the downswings as a norm, dont think that u have to win.. Expect to lose every time u start to play a session and play with a clear mind, not trying to chase back your loss.. Well its easier said than done... But if there were previous results to prove u are a +ev player then it can be done.. Try mindfulness meditation before starting ur session and it can help clear ur mind and relax yourself..


Thanks bro. I should be a +ev player. Been grinding alright. Guess I should be taking a longer break from grinding.
Louis1988
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: what to do when down swing?

Postby Louis1988 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:57 am

iZech wrote:its normal to have down swing, but nd to know that its happening and stop afew days to afew weeks. and dun let those bad beat affect ur play ( eg. when u hit dun dare to bet or raise as u scare ppl may have better etc )

thats y we have a bankroll, stick to 50-100buy in for that stake ur playing u should be able to take the down swing and come back once again!

gl on table!


Thanks bro. I usually don't tilt at all and I'm sure as hell not barrel shy. This down swing sure did took a hit on my bankroll.
Louis1988
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Five Tips for Dealing with a Downswing

Postby Louis1988 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

DM101 wrote:Unfortunately, it's the nature of the game.

If you've experienced a lengthy swing, you can attest to the fact that it makes you question everything you have ever done in poker.

You start to wonder if you ever actually did beat the game. You wonder if the players are all getting better or if the deck is just stacked against you.

In reality, you're just as likely to be a few good cards away from a heater.

These are five tips to get you back on the right track:

1) Take Some Time Off

When it gets to the point where you don't even want to look at poker, don't.

You'll be amazed at how much better you feel after taking a day or two away from the game to relax.

In the midst of a downswing, frustration will often get the best of you. Nobody plays their best when they're tilting - even a little bit.

Some much-needed time away from two-outers and rivered flushes will allow you to clear your mind and come back to the game fresh.

2) Keep Things in Perspective

You are a winning player. You have done very well at poker to get to this point.

That wasn't all luck.

Downswings happen to everyone. They're a part of the game.

It may seem like you can't win now, but in reality nothing has changed - you're just playing in a game dominated by long-term skill but short-term luck.

In the long run, the good players will always win and the bad players will always lose.

You have to take the good with the bad.

If you want to have those 10 buy-in days where you go on sick heaters and steamroll the table, you have to be able to stomach the other side: the prolonged downswing.

3) Take a Step Down

Downswings can be hard on both your morale and your bankroll. A good way to get back on your feet is to move down in stakes.

Playing smaller gives you a chance to play with a lower stress level. With the weight of the money off your shoulders, you can concentrate on beating the softer competition.

When you're running bad, sometimes all it takes is a few winning sessions to get your confidence back.

You can jump back into your regular game whenever you feel you are ready!

4) Take a Look at Your Game

Although downswings are inevitable, the longer they drag on the more you should take a look at your game.

Everyone thinks they're better than they really are, and the middle of a downswing is a great time to really take a look at your game and see if you are playing your best poker.

Downswings lead to frustration and frustration leads to tilt; tilt leads to the dark side. And of course by dark side, I mean bad play.

Go over your hand histories with a poker-playing friend. Are you actually getting unlucky or are you putting yourself into too many marginal situations?

You may be surprised at what you find when you get past that "poor me" attitude.

5) Fooooooooocus

Nothing is going to pull you out of a downswing like good decision making. You just have to play through it.

If you focus on making the best possible decision every single time the action is on you, you'll be back to your winning ways before you know it.


Hope all these pointers can help you to build up the fighting spirit again.

Good luck at the tables!


Nice write up and thanks bro. Yes I did start to question if I have been playing the game wrong or I really just step on dog shit. But then I think again looking at my chart before this down swing I don't think I played wrong.
It could be partly cause my exams are coming and I'm squeezing time out to grind and all. So I shouldn't be playing much lately besides lwps sate.
Louis1988
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:49 pm


Return to Community Service

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 

Recent Posts

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Site

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner




cron