Calling River Raise with 2nd pair

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Calling River Raise with 2nd pair

Postby gosubay » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 am

Villain is a 27/21/6 player. My guess is that he is aggro and barrels a lot. I don't have good reads on him but my basic assumptions are that he should be c-betting all his gutshots and not checking back AK cos that's what most players do.

Poker Stars $500.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1746249
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $598.90
SB: $668.55
Hero (BB): $500.00
UTG: $283.54
MP: $502.50
CO: $221.76

Pre Flop: ($7.50) Hero is BB with AImage JImage
3 folds, BTN raises to $10, 1 fold, Hero calls $5

Flop: ($22.50) QImage 4Image JImage (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Villain checks back the Flop. I expect him to play like that with weak QX occasionally but majority of his range now is either TX or just air giving up on future streets or going for a delayed cbet.

Turn: ($22.50) 2Image (2 players)
Hero bets $15.04, BTN calls $15.04

Turn is a Clear Value Bet. As I mentioned my JX > his range.

River: ($52.58) TImage (2 players)
Hero bets $40.00, BTN raises to $117.50, Hero calls $77.50

River doesn't change too much. I don't give him credit for a straight for sure because I think he would cbet all his straight draws on the Flop. He raises the River and this could be one of 3 things
1) Weirdly Played AK - I don't really think he has it very often.
2) JT or QT - I discount QT significantly because I think QT will bet the flop most of the time given starting positions (BU vs Blind, our ranges are both so wide, there's just so much value to be had on the Flop.)
In my spot I think AJ is better than KQ because I block out combos of JT and both of these hands essentially have the same relative hand strength vs whatever he's repping (straights or JT)
3) TX or some random crap turned into a bluff - TX cannot really bluff catch one more street because I have way too many JX and QX in my range. I will not bet the Turn with a pocket pair and I am not bluffing the Turn with something like 78s all the time. Majority of my range here calling in the BB will be some sort of middle card connector (2 cards between 8-Q).

Because I block JX, and I think he thinks I'm capped to some extent (I cannot have AK because I didn't 3bet preflop while he can), I felt he was more likely to attempt pulling off some bluff.

Final Pot: $287.58
BTN shows 5Image 2Image
Hero shows AImage JImage
Hero wins $284.78
(Rake: $2.80)

Turns out he checked back baby flush draw on the Flop. So this is an interesting note to have. I cannot attack him all the time when he checks back as the Pre Flop Raiser and the Flush completes because he has some sort of balance.
gosubay
ABC Poker Player

Medals: 3
Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: Calling River Raise with 2nd pair

Postby oxygenwong » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 pm

well played,I would call too
oxygenwong
New Fish

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats