World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific Launched

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific Launched

Postby DM101 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 am

On Tuesday May 1, 2012, Crown Melbourne announced an exciting new partnership with the World Series of Poker (WSOP) that will see it bring a new WSOP tournament series to the Asia-Pacific region. The World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific (WSOP APAC) will begin with a tournament at Crown Melbourne on April 4-15, 2013 and feature five WSOP gold bracelet events.

“Our goal is to establish the worldwide grand slam of poker and use our platform to elevate the game through a series of major championships,” said WSOP Executive Director Ty Stewart. “With WSOP Las Vegas growing annually and WSOP Europe poised for long-term success after five years, the time is right to turn our attention to the dynamic poker scene in Asia and Australia. Given Crown’s success with the ‘Aussie Millions Poker Championship’, we couldn’t ask for a better partner than Crown to establish the Asia-Pacific’s definitive poker festival.”

The multi-year agreement marks the first time that the WSOP will hit Aussie shores and is the only the second time that the WSOP has expanded from the US after 2007 saw the inaugural World Series of Poker Europe (WSOPE) event.

“This exciting partnership brings together two industry leaders, and two strong brands, to create a premier poker event in this region,” said Crown Melbourne’s Chief Executive Officer, Greg Hawkins. “Our agreement firmly aligns with our objective of attracting the very best local and international players, all vying for a coveted WSOP bracelet. We are incredibly proud of what we have achieved with the Aussie Millions and look forward to featuring WSOP Asia Pacific on our poker calendar in April 2013.”

2005 WSOP Main Event Champion Joe Hachem is also excited. “It’s thrilling to think the World Series of Poker is coming to Australian soil,” said Hachem. “I know first-hand what a life-changing moment winning the WSOP gold bracelet was and how it served as a catalyst for the growth of poker in Australia and Asia. It will be a dream come true to host a worldwide poker event such as this at Crown. I can’t wait.”

This means huge things for poker in the Asia-Pacific region and the complete schedule and dates of WSOP APAC are expected to be announced later in the year.

Source: PokerPortal.Asia
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific Launched

Postby WSOPTH » Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 am

dm: 2103, i dont think i can live that long ;)
WSOPTH
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby DM101 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:31 am

WSOPTH wrote:dm: 2103, i dont think i can live that long ;)

lol...typo error. I just cut and paste only.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby kr176 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Why not Macau? Or Philipines? Australia already has its Aussie Millions and ANZPT.......does Australia represent Asia? Strange decision...
kr176
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to Asian Poker News