On Variance and Tournament Longevity

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

Re: On Variance and Tournament Longevity

Postby boymalap » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

>60bbs . i set mines PP 22-1010 preferebly in late position. playing suited connectors 910+ only in CO/BTN. Raising with premiums and not be creative in the still small blinds. :)
boymalap
ABC Poker Player

Postby tcs » Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 pm

cash game in macao just few days back..

QQ < AKos

25/50 HKD game

pre flop all in. after a raise then reraise to 1000.
I was 7000 deep. the macao uncle just called me and hit K in river.
tcs
Challenge Poker Player

Postby EmissaryofTruth » Wed May 30, 2012 12:10 am

Alot of arguments on 2+2 on this issue I think. The popular train of thought should be as long as you have an edge, no matter how small, you must take it in early stages because the EV of building a big stack and capitalizing on your FE after that is > fear of losing/gambling. Of course AQ<JJ in terms of PFAI equity but if you're getting a pot odds call you should make it and it's close either way. You shouldn't take such races when your edge vs the field exceeds the edge you get in such a situation however. But ppl argue that your edge needs to be significant especially in today's tough environment to consider folding such an edge (such as exploiting FE much better than ppl, much better sense of bet-sizing and tournament situation awareness, much better post-flop reading and playing skills).
EmissaryofTruth
New Fish

Postby Phuturist » Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 am

Yeah I was in a AK vs JJ situation in LWPS just over the weekend... I prob should've taken that race...
Phuturist
Shark

Medals: 7
Good Seller (7)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Paula St » Wed May 30, 2012 1:32 pm

It really depends how badly you want to cash. Some players will abuse the bubble to pick up chips from those who want to cash knowing that people are more cautious. If you want to aim for the big money at the final table you have to take any edge. Having a read on your opponent will let you decide how light they are likely to push to help you make the right decision. Variance is part of poker you have to learn to accept and manage.
Paula St
New Fish

Return to Asian Poker News